Feeds RSS
Feeds RSS

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The creepy crawlys that come in the Spring

Yes, I have to thank my husband for all the "nature science projects" that we quite often have going on in our house. If it was me, we would learn from a book or online, but Scotts way is - why not bring it into the house and learn hands on :) I have to admit, as long as I don't have to touch anything and it can't get out, it is kinda interesting.

Our latest is the spotted salamander and collections from our pond. In the fish tank we have frog eggs and salamander eggs, and we are going to watch them "hatch" Also have a water beetle in there and another "thing" pictured below. It looks like a bunch of teeny sticks and grass, but at one end it has a hole where the "bug part" comes out. It seems attached to the other stuff. No, I will never step into a pond again in my life!!

Scott was very interested in the spotted salamander. We learned that they come to the same pond every year (for only 2 nights) and mate and lay their eggs. Then the salamanders go back to the woods and live there. Scott happened to see them one of those nights they were in the pond!



And I would prefer if the kids didn't touch, but you can't get Scott to think that way:)


The frog eggs are the smaller ones and the salamader eggs are the larger ones.


The bug thing that we don't know what it is



0 comments: